Friday, May 25, 2007

Rain and Cold

We are so thankful for the rain that came this week ... Many of the storm clouds passed us by, but we did manage to squeak out a good start for precipitation. I didn't even complain (much) when the mud started to find its way into the house.

Today there was a break in the weather, and we all trooped out to the raspberry field to start weeding. The farthest end of the field seems to be the toughest to get to when it comes to weeding, so we started over there. I think it took me 2-1/2 hours just to weed and clean out one row of raspberry bushes! The boys assured me all of the rows aren't that bad. We uprooted quite a bit of stinging nettle, and didn't even think about saving it to eat. I guess I'm not yet a die hard homesteader.

It was great for all of us to be out there in the garden. All 4 of the boys have been sick this week with varying degrees of flu/cold symptoms. Thankfully, Jim and I have been spared. The longer we worked out there the colder it became, and soon it felt more like fall than spring. Now I find out the weather forecasters are predicting snow flurries for after midnight! I am very thankful we were too busy to plant all of our vegetables when the weather was balmy, or we would really be in trouble now.

Jim purchased another queen bee and workers, and they arrived yesterday. Unfortunately, the cold weather last night did them in. I just shake my head sometimes at how much we have to learn about farming, gardening, bees, animals, building, canning, etc., etc. I keep reminding myself how each incident is a learning experience, and some day we will look back and marvel at how much we have gained in knowledge.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lynn, I enjoy your blogs, but for some reason I'm having trouble commenting. Let's see if this works.

Goodolboy said...

Hi Lynn, We got 200 chicks only about 20 left. I am sick about it. I took some samples to the university for analysis. Turns out they are full of fluid, too much salt. Their hearts are weak and they are litterally drowning in body fluids. Big question is, what did we do wrong. I talked to the vet at the university and I guess he could sense my frustration. He said go back to basics. Good food, water and shelter. Let nature take its course. I had changed evrything 3 or 4 times trying to get the things to live. Talk about feeling like a failure. It is good to have support from ya all in these blogs too. Gives ya a sense we are all trying to do this thing together.

Guy

Lynn Bartlett said...

We sure can identify with you, Guy. Last summer we started with 100 chicks, and lost close to 75 by the time we figured out they weren't getting enough protein. We went back to buying starter feed and saved the rest. It certainly was a tough way to learn. There were 2 Cornish Cross that escaped from the chicken tractor, and they roamed all summer; they actually were the fattest at butchering time, as compared to the ones in the tractor. We also have friends who wanted to do their own starter, and ground things like field peas into their mix; they soon discovered the peas became a paste, and the chicks' beaks were glued shut. Needless to say, they also learned an expensive lesson. I can't say I enjoy learning the hard way, but it sure is an effective way of learning what not to do again! I also appreciate learning from other's mistakes, since we have openly shared about all the things we have goofed on.

Marci said...

Homesteading is all about learning. That is how we have learned our lessons as well. I am sorry you lost your bees. I think I am going to wait until next spring to get more.

BonnieJ said...

Aww...I'm so sorry to hear the boys are sick. I remember what happened when we were there! lol.

I hope they get better quickly.

Sista Cala said...

Purchasing a queen bee and workers sounds something like how some churches try to beef up their staff. ha ha Really, I'm new to your blog and will be back for more.

I don't know if you like to play tag or not. If you do, then YOU"RE IT. Come by my place for details on posting 8 Random things about yourself.