Now we drive through a tunnel of sorts to get down to the basement door. Hopefully I can back the car up the path; backing up in a limited space is not one of my strengths!
Our family woke up the morning after Mike and Pam's arrival to the sound of the carbon monoxide detector going off. Jim immediately opened up the door and vented the house. We have had trouble before with the drastic changes in temperature outside, which causes ice to build up in the chimney pipe just as it makes a bend upward, outside of the house. The guys usually then take off the plate at the bottom of the vertical pipe and clean out the ice (doesn't everyone keep an acetylene torch in the house for activities such as this??) and we are back in business. Our usual notice that the ice is building up is a dripping of creosote/water into a bucket in the back of the wood stove, but this time it didn't happen.
The guys took a section of the ladder and headed to the old Norwegian cabin located in the woods a ways from our house. There was extra chimney pipe over there that is no longer being used, since the little wood stove they had installed in there is now located in our guest cabin.
There is lots of snow in the woods!
Off goes the chimney pipe.