Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Happenings Around Home

We had a peaceful night last night, first time since we arrived home from the homeschool convention. What a blessing! However, because of sleeping so soundly I missed the warning sound of hot water running into a metal pail behind our wood stove, and awoke in the morning to a good portion of our entryway/area by the wood stove covered in water. I'm not well versed in the workings of my husband's apparatus for heating all of our water in/on the wood stove, but apparently the water became too hot and escaped through the safety valve. I guess it's better than exploding, but it certainly made a mess. Once again, I'm thankful for a cement floor!

Yesterday I took 3 of our boys over to our friend Paulette's, and helped Paulette and Steve (alias Mountain Fire Keeper) plant seeds and also transplant other seedlings. It was a fun afternoon for us. We planted a lot of herbs: Lemon Balm, Pennyroyal, Peppermint, Chamomile, Bergamot, Rue, Oregano, Spearmint, Fennel, Pyrethrum, Sage, Catnip and Cumin. We also helped to plant celery(what tiny seeds!), cucumbers, and about 4 varieties of tomatoes. The boys helped plant my cloves of garlic that had started growing as well. Hopefully they will all germinate and grow. Paulette has a wonderful southern exposure in the health center, with a low cement wall used for gathering the sun's heat; it is perfect for starting seeds. She is already enjoying lettuce and spinach that was planted earlier, and what a treat to have a taste myself. We also transplanted some tiny seedlings, but the only one I can remember is Foxglove. Steve took a digital recording of Paulette pruning and starting geraniums, which will probably be incorporated along with the seed starting into the next Country Living Skills video.

We have a friend that has completed 4 years of study to become an herbalist (I'm not sure that is what he would be called), and makes his own extracts. He told my son that the extracts we purchased and have been using from our food coop are rather weak, and so he makes his own. I hope he will teach me how to make my own extracts, as purchasing them can become quite expensive. There is so much I can learn from him. I am once again amazed at how God has placed us in such a place, where we can learn not only to become more self sufficient, but how to care for physical needs we may encounter along the way. Our life here in the Turtle Mountains is becoming more interesting all the time!

2 comments:

Christine said...

That's alot of seedlings! I'm envious! I didn't have that much success rate...it's all a learning curve.

I'm hoping to finish tilling the garden so that I can get some of the seeds in the ground that didn't germinate...maybe I'll have a better rate that way!

I've started making tinctures. They do tend to be stronger. There is a wealth of information for one to absord, sometimes a little overwhelming!

Emily said...

Hi Lynn...glad to hear that the "plague" hasn't taken hold of your entire household!

I'm looking forward to making my own tinctures as well. You're blessed to have a friend to teach you what he's learned. Would he perhaps be called a naturopath rather than an herbalist? One of my favorite books to reference is Shonda Parker's Mommy Diagnostics. She also offers a course that I'd like to take one of these days.

You asked about grapefruit seed extract. It has many powerful antibacterial and other properties, and I also use it as a preservative such as when I make my own laundry soap. The acidophilus is good for stomach ailments, or when you're on antibiotics, as it replaces the "good bacteria" in the intestinal tract. If you're using charcoal, it would be a good idea to add it to your diet since charcoal pretty much purges everything out of your system. I have an recipe for something called Master Tonic that I haven't tried yet if you're interested. It contains fresh garlic, onion, horseradish, hot pepper, and ginger in a base of raw cider vinegar. Supposed to cure anything from the sniffles to dreadful diseases. I think it may be a good thing to have on hand *just in case* for all illnesses, and is safe for anyone from young children to pregnant women. You don't have to refrigerate it though it does take a couple of weeks of setting to bring it to full potency.Take care, and stay healthy!