Monday, September 06, 2010

Where Did the Summer Go?

I am having a hard time believing it's September already. It just didn't seem like we had much of a summer.

We started out with a very mild spring, but then it turned colder and the rains kept coming. I think we only had a handful of days when the temperature hit 90 degrees.

The boys didn't advertise for work, but were approached by people needing work done on their yards and buildings. It was enough to keep them actually too busy, so by July 1 they cut back to only doing yard work for 2 widows and some odds and ends for the association that takes care of the bike path around Lake Metigoshe. It was quite strange to have 2 or more of the boys gone during the day, returning home in time to get their evening chores done. Whoever was home took up the slack.

In early July, Jonathan and Peter attended an Appleseed Project Rifleman Boot Camp and then a weekend Appleseed shoot that took place close to an hour from home. The rest of us scrambled to keep up with what was happening on the farm. Thankfully they were home in time to do the milking and chicken chores every evening of the 8 days they participated in the Appleseed events and up early to do the same. As soon as Peter finished milking he would hand the milk can to me and I would process the milk and clean up everything afterwards. I gained a real appreciation for all the work he does.

During the week of Appleseed both Jonathan and Peter received their "red hats" -- which means they are now instructors for the organization. Jonathan is also state coordinator for the Appleseed Project in ND.

This strange photo is what we viewed this summer during one of our many thunderstorms. The rains just kept coming and coming -- and most of the time they were accompanied with lots of thunder and lightning. One afternoon the rain was so intense that in just a 4 hour period we received 3 inches of rain.
Our neighbor is the one who cuts our hay; he told us back in mid June he would be over to cut hay by the end of the month. Well, due to some family illness and with all the rains he didn't make it over until the middle of August. This meant our alfalfa was already drying out by the time it was cut.
We were waiting to see what our raspberries would do this year. Well, they didn't do much.
The summer of 2009 we harvested and sold raspberries for 3 weeks, but this year we only had enough to sell on 2 different days. It was a disappointment for us, but turned out to be God's Providence, since we had so many things going on that we probably couldn't have handled an abundant harvest. Thankfully I still had frozen berries in the freezer from last year, and we were able to make some raspberry sauce and jam for ourselves with what we were able to harvest before selling what we did sell.
It was just too wet of a season for us to grow a lot of raspberries. Jim said the bushes will be ready for a good crop next year.
One day while we were picking raspberries we heard our dog Samson barking excitedly over by the hoop house. Peter walked over to take a look, and discovered a skunk in the trench we had dug to store our potatoes and carrots over the winter! Peter took care of the problem, but the odor of skunk lingered for quite a while.
A couple of nights before this skunk was discovered we smelled its odor outside, and thought Samson had tangled with his second skunk of the season. It turned out to be our tomcat, Henry, that had tangled for the first time with a skunk!
Skunks were in abundant supply this summer. Shortly after Jonathan had placed his young Rhode Island Red chickens in poultry netting up in what we call our "big field," there was quite a thunderstorm, and Peter had shut off the power to the electric fencing. The next morning Jonathan went up to get the chickens fed and discovered something had figured out it was a good night to get some delicious chicken, killing at least 15 of them. He thought it had been a skunk, due to the conditions the carcasses were left.
Even earlier in the season the boys had taken out the raft Andrew made last year to go swimming; Samson chose that time to find a skunk and chased it into a hole in the ground. Of course Samson got too close and received a good dose of its spray! Peter said he could actually see the mist of the skunk spray from his position in the lake.

In August, our 5-year-old cat David named Funny Face had another batch of kittens. There are 5 of them, and we have people standing in line to take them home. Funny Face has the nicest kittens, and they usually turn out to be good mousers.

Jim has been diligently working to prepare our bees for winter. One day when we were picking raspberries we heard quite a commotion, and it turned out to be one hive that was swarming. Jim managed to capture the bees and their queen and get them into another bee box. So far so good this season. I'm not sure if we'll be able to harvest any honey this fall or not.

We have 6 pigs this year, and most of them have already been spoken for. Jim decided to keep 2 females and plans to winter them, as the end of Sept. we will be purchasing a boar named Zorro from friends. Zorro is a Berkshire, so we'll see how he does with our Hampshires. They have the run of a field and into the woods along the driveway, so every time I walk down to get the mail they come running to see if I have any scraps for them. It's amazing to me that they have learned to respect an electric fence and have never gotten out.

Unfortunately all the rain caused problems with our gardens. We lost half our potato plants, all of our cucumber plants as well as our kidney and navy bean plants. The green beans weren't as plentiful as in years past, and I am grateful for the crop we had last year because we are still enjoying the surplus. I should have a few more beans out in the garden since the plants were still flowering. Everything is late this year; my tall zinnias didn't bloom until a week ago.

These little Cornish Cross chickens are all Jonathan has left of his 600 meat chickens. We've spent lots of together time as a family butchering chickens! It's amazing to me that the first 2 batches are all sold, and this batch is all spoken for. We even have a waiting list for people wanting more. I'm thankful for the ones that ended up with a broken wing or some scratches, because those are mine to keep.

Jonathan has had a lot of success with selling eggs as well. Earlier in August I found myself begging our neighbor to sell me some of her eggs since Jonathan was selling all of his! I will be thankful when his Rhode Island Reds start laying so there is a surplus and we can have egg meals once again.

I think my favorite animal on the farm this year has been Jonathan's turkeys. They have so much personality! They, too, live in poultry netting up in the big field. I didn't realize how much they like eating grass and whatever else they manage to get their beaks on. Jonathan has had to go out every night and get them off the top of their hoop house style shelter and inside for safety.

Turkeys are the ultimate when it comes to curiosity!

We have a new addition to our chicken butchering -- a Whizbang Chicken Plucker! Jonathan ordered the kit after his first batch of chickens, so we tried it out on the second batch. He probably should have given it a test run before starting on the 104 chickens we had to butcher that day, as there were a few glitches.
Last Wednesday they decided to butcher 20 of Jonathan's oldest laying hens, and the Whizbang worked like a dream! Now I need to figure out how I can possibly improve my system of quality control, bagging and weighing in order to keep up with the production line!

A couple of years ago someone gave Andrew a 3-wheeler that didn't work. Well, now it works! Andrew and David have had lots of fun with it. However, Andrew said it is very temperamental, since it doesn't always start when they want it to. Andrew is our resident motor/engine maintenance man, and does a good job of diagnosing problems. It's still amazing to me how each of our 4 sons has a different interest -- and Andrew's is in engines.

Our hay fields are finally hayed, and all that is left is to take the ones that are ours and haul them down to the barn area.

Some of my flowers did very well this year.

My herb garden wasn't in a very good spot. We didn't take time to get rid of all the weeds and do a good tilling job before jumping in and planting a bunch of things, so this spring Jim made me two raised beds. I transplanted the herbs that wintered well into those areas, and they did very well. I still need to move my lavender plant into a raised bed, but Jim needs to make one more for me before I am completely done with the old herb garden area. I'm hoping we can get it all cleaned out and use it for lettuce, spinach, and other things like that. My comfrey plant is still in there as well.

David was thrilled to find a saddle for purchase at a garage sale in the area. Even Calliope seems to enjoy riding, now that David isn't riding bareback. She makes it tough for him to catch her, but once she is caught she enjoys galloping in the field.
I am amazed at how much David has picked up on his own when it comes to horseback riding. Today he was figuring out how he will talk Jim into taking him to a rodeo that will take place in a couple of weeks.

One of our sources of apples is no longer a source for us, since the couple sold their home and moved out of the area. There is another home we pass every time we head down to town that has 2 apple trees in their front yard. Our friend Steve happened to mention one time that someone should approach the owners about picking the apples and cleaning up what had fallen, so Jim took the idea and we've been picking those apples ever since.

In May the boys surprised me with their gift to me of a Champion Juicer! We've been waiting to give it a try, and found ourselves actually enjoying making applesauce this year. The sauce is much nicer with the apple skins juiced in with the rest of the apple. I've also been using the Champion Juicer to process tomatoes, and it is a real time saver!

A week ago we did our first farmers market. The man that owns a golf course at Lake Metigoshe asked if he could buy corn from us for a corn feed, and also requested that we set up our produce and baked goods for sale -- along with some bluegrass music by the boys. I don't think we'll do it over there again, since we figured we would have sold more where we usually set up shop at a local convenience store.
This past Friday we sold out our load of corn at the corner, and then Saturday morning we all were up and outside by 6 to pick corn by flashlight. Jim took Andrew and David to Bottineau for the farmers market that opened at 8, and sold everything we had picked.
We have another field of sweet corn, but it is just on the verge of being mature. The temperatures this week may not climb above 60, so we are patiently waiting to get it picked, sold and processed. Nothing like having corn off the cob in the middle of winter!
We also have a field of tomatoes that are yet to ripen. Since the temperature tomorrow night could plunge into the mid 30's we may be forced to haul them into our guest cabin to ripen on newspaper. I hope it won't come to that, as maturing on the vine is the absolute best.
Well, this is just a touch of what we have been doing. I'm hoping to get back into regular posting and reading our friends' blogs. I've missed it a lot.


Marci said...

Oh Lynn, I always get tired just reading your posts. :) I LOVE the picture of the turkey face. How cute!!! Glad you got a plucker. I would love for us to build one. Sorry about the lack of crops.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lynn

Great summary of the summer activities.

Enjoyed reading it very much.

Love seeing the pictures.

Your Diversified Farming program is the way to go. And you sure are diversified.

Gp B

Kimberly said...

It was great hearing from you again. I can see why you haven't been writing. As much as I love summer, it's my favorite season, it is the most busy of the seasons.

I use my Champion Juicer to process tomatoes for sauce. It is nice not having seeds and skins in it.


Kelle said...

Well it's always a blessing to see a new post from you and your family. We can relte to the wet and cold, I've been calling it. The Summer without Summer!" and guess what we've already suffer frost damage, although PTL not a total kill.
Our raspberries are fairing better than yours and our plum trees are loaded! Thankfully you have frozen raspberries in your freezer. This is one reason we work so hard preserving all that we possibly can, because you never know what the next garden may bring.

You hay look very nice, still green! Most of the hay around here got washed several times, so had to be raked and it made for dry yellow bales. We were able to pick up some added hay that was in very nice shape.

Glad to hear you are all well and we're feeling much the same as you, where was Summer?

PS. You have a couple more days of rain and cold heading your way*sigh*
Blessings and hugs,