Wednesday, April 26, 2006

One More Learning Experience

I am learning not to take things for granted up here. Yesterday our hoop house was finished and we planted cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers and pumpkins in there. I foolishly thought all would be well, not taking into consideration that not only was it chilly in the house but it would be chilly in the hoop house as well. When we checked the plants this morning we discovered they had been frozen! A couple of the pepper plants are okay as is one pumpkin plant, but the rest looked pretty tough. I guess it's back to square one, and replanting. To be on the safe side for tonight we covered the plants with quilts.

We have had some pretty chilly nights around here, and I have to remind myself that it still is only April. I was glad when Jim removed the hay bales from the roof, but that left us with no insulation in the ceiling. We are actually dressing warmer at night now than we did when the temperature outside was below zero! At least the woodstove helps to warm us up in the morning, and the spring sun keeps us comfortable all day. Kind of reminds me of our very cold nights in the pop up camper when we first moved here. We have certainly come a long ways from those days, and I am so thankful for all that we have, and all that we have learned. I guess we need to just keep on learning!

3 comments:

Benjamin said...

Oh no! I feel for you - you wouldn't believe how many nights in SK I would run out with my heaters and cover everything with blankets to protect it. Not only do they freeze easily in the greenhouse, but being exposed to constant heat then cold, heat then cold has been proven to cause slower production than setting them out a little later so they aren't exposed to extremes. How does Paulette handle this in her situation? I think this is why we enjoyed our underground greenhouse - it stayed more moderate temperature wise and it wasn't til it hit about -17 celcius that we would have to "heat" it. Plus we could go out and cover everything to conserve heat and not have to heat the empty air space. I'm sold on it and plan on at least making a bermed greenhouse when we come back to ND. Greenhouses can be a lesson in patience to say the least. If they aren't freezing at night, then they are burning during the day - I would leave early in the morning to go shopping for the week and it would be too cold to open the greenhouse. By the time noon came around, it would be 100 in the greenhouse and I'd come home to leaves curling and scalded tomato plants. GRRRR. But when you work some of the kinks out, it is sure worthwhile!!!
Heather

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that Lynn.

I am sure It will work after the bugs get worked out.

I like Ben/Heather's description and experiences. Hopefully that will give you the courage to keep trying. This time of year is very ify for planting.

I do not have a green thumb so can't be much help.

God luck

Gp B

Emily said...

Oh, Lynn, that's so disappointing. I know I keep wanting to stick my plants out on the patio since it's been so sunny, but that air still has quite a chill to it even in the daytime. I'm going to keep them in a couple more weeks then start hardening them off. I hope your next crop of plants do better.