Saturday, October 25, 2008

Fall

It didn't take long this year for the leave to fall off the trees. Our family has been working diligently to get the homestead ready for winter, but it seems the more we do, the more we need to do! My herb garden is covered with hay, my annual flowers are pulled from my rock garden, and my time is spent in canning. Currently I am working on carrots, of which we had a bountiful crop. I still need to take care of my onions, squash and pumpkin.

Jonathan and Peter are working hard to complete a new barn for the goats, horse and cow. I'm sure our cats will enjoy getting out of the wind in there as well. The work came to a halt later today, as the winds picked up to 20-30 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. I guess we will have more of the same tomorrow, when the high temperature is forecasted to reach the low 30's. As I am writing this, snow is falling.

This is the new view from the walk out part of our basement where we are living. Jim cut down quite a few trees from around the shore line of our lake, and with the leaves down we have quite a nice view. Some day after we move upstairs we will evaluate whether or not to take down the trees that are still standing between us and the lake.



2 comments:

Marci said...

We still have a few straggler leaves. Looks like yours are ALL gone. Have you had snow yet?

Anonymous said...

Hello Stranger, my vote is leave the trees. We had some miserable weather on the weekend but itis pretty nice yesterday and today. And Happy Birthday! What a summer, rain, rain and more rain. We had bullrushes growing in our garden. Needless to say it did not do to well. Say hi to the Turtle Mountain Boys for me (I know they changed their name but I still call them that). Talk to ya all soon.

Guy